WASHINGTON, D.C. ,
May 5, 2011
As leader of the Republican Study Committee Energy Task Force, Congressman Bob Latta (R-Bowling Green) introduced the Consumer Relief for Pain at the Pump Act. The bill tackles rising gas prices by focusing on policies that increase America’s domestic production of energy resources, making the United States more self-reliant and setting our nation on a path to greater energy security.
“Given America’s abundance of natural resources, there is no reason why we are sitting tight and letting gas prices soar. I am excited to introduce this bill, which will curb surging gas prices and create downwardpressure on the cost of oil by allowing America to take advantage of its vast domestic oil resources,” said Congressman Latta.
The Relief for Consumers to Reduce Pain at the Pump Act does the following:
- Repeals the Obama permatorium on America’s outer continental shelf;
- Opens up ANWR to exploration and production;
- Establishes a streamlined process for permitting and lease sales;
- Increases access to onshore oil, including shale oil;
- Blocks burdensome and unnecessary regulations; and
- Simplifies the judicial review process to limit frivolous environmental litigation on leases and permits that would indefinitely halt energy production.
“Repealing federal policies, stopping the EPA’s backdoor energy tax, halting the President’s drilling permatorium and unlocking energy resources both on and offshore will help alleviate the pain at the pump,” said Congressman Latta.